Specialist Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
MBChB MRCS(Glas) FRACS(Plast)
Dr David Stewart is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon with a special interest in hand and wrist surgery, peripheral nerve surgery and limb reconstruction.
Dr Stewart grew up in Scotland and graduated in medicine from the University of Edinburgh. After basic surgical training in the UK he completed a research fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of New South Wales. He then undertook advanced training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery through the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in Sydney and Auckland. After plastic surgery training Dr Stewart then completed a specialist fellowship in Hand and Microsurgery at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne.
Dr Stewart has public hospital appointments at Royal North Shore Hospital Hand and Peripheral Nerve Unit and the Children’s Hospital Westmead, where he is part of the congenital hand service. He is also a Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney, and is actively involved in research, and teaching of trainees in both plastic and orthopaedic surgery.
Dr Stewart is married with four children, enjoys spending time with his family and is a keen runner.
- 2001 Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB) Edinburgh University.
- 2004 Membership of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (MRCSGlas).
- 2011 Fellow of the Australasian College of Surgeons in Plastic Surgery (FRACSPlast).
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- The Australian Hand Surgery Society (AHSS)
- American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS).
- NSW Hand Surgery Society
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Visiting Medical Officer Royal North Shore Hospital.
- Visiting Medical Officer Children’s Hospital Westmead.
- Visiting Medical Officer North Shore Private Hospital.
- Conjoint Senior Lecturer, Sydney University.
Additional Professional Activities and Contributions
- Supervisor of Plastic Surgery Training, Royal North Shore Hospital Hand Unit 2013-2022.
- Secretary, NSW Hand Surgery Association 2018-2019.
- Stewart DA, Finn PJ. Implementation of SIGN guidelines for the management of head injury in a small district general hospital. Scottish Medical Journal, 2004 49(2): 70.
- Stewart DA, Macdonald D, Leach WJ. Use of calcium sulphate based injectable bone graft substitute in the management of distal radial fractures. Journal of Bone &Joint Surgery (Br) Proceedings, 2006 May; 88-B: 276.
- Stewart DA, Durrani AJ, Shoaib T. Arterial Supply to type II muscle after fasciocutaneous free flap transfer. [Letter] Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2006 May; 117(6): 2076.
- Shoaib T, Stewart DA, Mackie R, Gray HW, Soutar DS. The unusual sites of melanoma regional recurrences. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. 2006;59(9):901-1016 (September 2006).
- Stewart KJ, Stewart DA, Coghlan B, Harrison D, Jones B, Waterhouse N. Complications of 278 consecutive abdominoplasties. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. 2006;59(11):1152-5.
- Stewart DA, Stephens PC, Gianoutsos MP, Walsh WR. Improving bone formation in mandibular distraction osteogenesis with rhBMP-2. [Abstract] ANZ J Surg 76 (Supp 1), A64.
- Stewart DA, Varma S, Al-Nafussi A, Quaba AA. Schwannomatosis. Case Series and Review. [Abstract] ANZ J Surg 76 (Supp 1), A66.
- Soeharno H, Smitham PJ, Stewart DA, Walsh WR. Three ways to get plastered in Sydney – Properties of Casting Materials. [Abstract] ANZ J Surg 76 (Supp 1), A93.
- Stewart DA, Yue A, GianoutsosMP. Anchoring of pain pump catheters within the rectus fascia in abdominoplasty. [letter] Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2008 Apr;121(4):229e-30e.
- Stewart DA, Smitham PJ, Nicklin S, Walsh WR. A new technique for repair of flexor digitorum profundus avulsion. [Abstract] J Hand Surg (Br) 2006 Jun 31 (Supp1) 78.
- Smitham PJ, Stewart DA, Stephens P, Walsh WR. Does length matter? Testing the bite size. [Abstract] J Hand Surg (Br) 2006 Jun 31 (Supp1) 79.
- Stewart DA, Smitham P, Nicklin S, Walsh WR. A new technique for distal fixation of flexor digitorum profundus tendon. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008;61(4):475-7.
- Stewart DA, Smitham P, Gianoutsos MP, Walsh WR. Biomechanical influence of the vincula tendinum on digital motion following isolated flexor tendon injury: a cadaveric study. J Hand Surg [Am]. 2007 Oct;32(8):1190-4.
- Rahman M, Stewart DA, Jefferson N, Gianoutsos MP. A histolical analysis of the basis of common nasal reconstructive procedures. ANZ J Surg. 2008 May;78 Suppl 1:A103.
- Rahman M, Stewart DA, Jefferson N, Gianoutsos MP. The histology of facial aesthetic subunits: implications for common nasal reconstructive procedures. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010 May;63(5):753-6.
- Coombs CJ, Ng S, Stewart DA. The use of V-Y flaps for closure of pretibial skin defects following excision of cutaneous lesions. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2012 Nov (Epub ahead of print).
- Stewart DA, Taylor K, Johnstone BR, Coombs CJ. Structural fat grafting to improve aesthetic outcomes in congenital hand surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Aug;130(2):386e-7e.
- Stewart DA, Coombs CJ, Graham HK. Functional outcome of replantation of the leg in an infant: Case report with 6-year follow-up. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery Case Connector. 2012 Aug 2(3).
- Stewart DA, Coombs CJ, Graham HK. Application of lower extremity injury severity scores in children. J Child Ortho. 2012 6(5) 427-31.
- Stewart DA, Coombs CJ, Graham HK. Evaluation of Mangled Extremity Severity Score (MESS) as a predictor of lower limb amputation in children with trauma. [Letter] Eur J Paed Surg. 2013 23(4):333-4.
- Stewart DA, Coombs CJ. Successful replantation of a finger in an 8-month old child. Hand Surg. 2013;18(3):421-3.
- Stewart DA, McCombe D. Bilateral Scaphotrapeziotrapezoid coalition with bipartite scaphoid: Case Report. J Hand Surg Am 2013 38(9): 1718-22.
- Stewart DA, Pedersen J, Coombs CJ. Giant cell tumour of tendon sheath in a 4-year-old boy. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014 39(8):889-91.
- Rtshiladze M, Stewart DA, Saw R, Stretch J. Pigmented Lesions of the Nailbed: Clinical Assessment and Biopsy Aust Fam Phys 2016 Nov;45(11)810-813.
- Sefton A, Smith B, Stewart DA. Cost comparison of collagenase clostridium histolyticum and fasciectomy for treatment of Dupuytren's contracture in the Australian health system J Hand Surg (Asia-Pacific) In Press.
- Cheng AMY, Cheng HS, Smith BJ, Stewart DA. Neutrophilic Dermatosis of the Hands: A Review of 17 Cases. J Hand Surg Am. 2017 Sep 21.
- Rastogi P, Stewart DA, Lawson RD, Tremblay DM, Smith BJ, Tonkin MA. Cadaveric dissection of the axillary nerve: an investigation of extra-muscular and intra-muscular branching patterns. [In Press: J Hand Surg Asia Pacific].
- Boghossian E, Stewart DA. The Medial Metaphyseal Periosteal Artery (MMPA): An Alternate Pedicle for the Medial Femoral Trochlea Flap.J Hand Surg Am. 2021 Nov;46(11):1032.e1-1032.e3.
- Haines M, Baba M, Stewart DA. Iatrogenic Femur Fracture Following Medial Femoral Condyle Flap Harvest.J Hand Surg Am. 2020 Sep;45(9):885.e1-885.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2019.12.001.
- Mende K, Watson A, Stewart DA. Surgical Treatment and Outcomes of Syndactyly: A Systematic Review. J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2020 Mar;25(1):1-12.
- Zhou KJ, Graham DJ, Stewart D, Lawson RD, Sivakumar BS. Free Medial Femoral Condyle Flap for Reconstruction of Scaphoid Nonunion: A Systematic Review. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2021 Dec 14.
- Scotty McKellar Oration: “The Ligament of Struthers: A Scottish – Australian story”. New South Wales Hand Surgery meeting. Kiama 2014.
- Basic Science and Evidence for Vascularized Bone Grafting (Vascularized Bone Symposium) Invited Lecture: Combined American and Australian Hand Meeting (ASSH & AHSS). Sydney 2016.
- Functional Free Muscle Transfer Invited Lecture: Neurosurgery Society of Australasia Annual Scientific Meeting, Sydney 2016.
- How I avoid complications in soft tissue hand surgery Invited Lecture: Cambodian Surgery Society, Phnom Penh 2017.
- Lawson RD, Stewart DA and Tonkin MA. (2015) Lesions of the hand, In: Plastic and reconstructive surgery: Approaches and techniques (eds R. D. Farhadieh, N. W. Bulstrode and S. Cugno), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781118655412.ch64.
- Watson A, Mende K, Stewart DA. Syndactyly. In: Giddins G, Leblebicioğlu G (Eds). Evidence Based Data in Hand Surgery and Therapy: Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand Instructional Courses. Iris Publications; pp. 100-120, 2017.
- Stewart DA (2018) Wound Dressings In: Oxford Textbook of Plastic Surgery (eds S Kay and D McCombe) Oxford University Press 2022.